Need some sweet goodness in your life? You can’t go past this heavenly caramel slice recipe. The base is nice and crumbly, and the caramel is deliciously gooey. The thin layer of chocolate finishes this dessert off perfectly. Let me warn you now, it is so good you won’t want to share!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup decicated coconut
- 150g butter – melted for base
- 125g butter – for caramel
- 2 x cans 395g sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 200g milk chocolate
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 160 °C. Lightly grease a 18cm x 28cm pan and line with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, and coconut. Add 150g melted butter and mix well. Press into pan and bake for 15 minutes or until light brown. Cool.
- Place extra butter, salt, condensed milk, and golden syrup into a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until smooth and just until you notice a change of colour. Pour over base and bake for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Place chocolate and oil into a small saucepan and melt until smooth. Poor evenly over cooled slice.
- Refrigerate until set.
- You can also melt chocolate in the microwave. Heat it on medium high for about 1 minute to start with. Remove from the microwave and stir. Repeat heating at shorter intervals, 15 to 20 seconds, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted and has a smooth consistency.